Saturday 2 November 2013

Graduate from High School

As I approach Nov. 15th, my mind keeps wondering towards my graduation, or commencement, ceremony and what it will be like to walk across the auditorium stage one last time. I've walked across it for assemblies, school projects, university presentations and in regular classes, but a part of me feels like this time it will be different.

It's been the goal for my entire academic career thus far and in two weeks I will be able to finally cross: "Graduate High School" off my list of things to do Before I'm Pushing Up Daisies.

So in honor of my upcoming graduation, I'm going to do a countdown of my top 10 favorite KCI moments:
Mr. Rittinger and our Goats

10. Horticulture and the Anniversary Statue Garden, This was a special project that I am very proud to have been a part of. Our Horticulture program, and its residents, are unique to the WRDSB and I am very glad to have had the opportunity to work within such a cool program. Whether its feeding the chickens, walking the goats, floral arrangements or fundraising with Christmas trees, our horticulture department is definitely worthy of a spot on my top 10 KCI experiences.

Ice Hockey
9. Field Hockey, Ice Hockey & Rugby. I've been so blessed to have had the opportunity to participate in three sports programs at KCI. Field hockey for four years, ice hockey for two and one year of rugby in which we went all the way to the local championships! Time spent in practice, on the field/pitch/ice and together with some amazing peer athletes have really rounded out my KCI experience.

8. FedProv. A federal provincial government simulation in which I`ve represented the province of Manitoba, New Brunswick, and this year the Press as we debate issues like abortion, prostitution and gun laws from a high school student`s perspective, and an amazing opportunity to work collaboratively with students from other high schools. And then there was the cake, that was good too.

7. After Hours/Ossia. Having participated in three After Hours events and two Ossias, the arts have helped to round out my extra curriculars. Whether showcasing environmentally-friendly ways to create art, or using sign language to "show" the lyrics of a song in choir, or playing the flute the arts have been a cool way to experience parts of KCI that I'm not normally hugely involved in.

6. Battle of the Books. Three years, three victories, is there any more to be said? Our KCI book club is an incredible team of readers that I have had such pleasure in being a part of. Winning has been icing on the cake, compared to the friendships I've made through this club. I'm confident we're on the way to a fourth victory this year and many more years to come long after I've moved on.

5. Prom. Every student should go to their prom. I didn't have a date, but neither did a lot of people, and it was still a lot of fun going as a group of friends. It was the cherry on top of four years of hard work in classes, and it was a magical night I won't soon forget.


4. France Exchange Student. Lola. My exchange student from Montpelier, France. Having her stay with me was so much more than I ever thought it would be. I may have been showing her around my home town, but she was teaching me a lot about myself at the same time. I hope to see her again some day, and to visit France in March when its our turn to travel to Montpelier!

3. Sharing my Story on the Stage during the WAYVE assembly. One of the most difficult, yet empowering experiences I've had at KCI. In my story I speak to how fear and bullying can strip you of your voice and leave you vulnerable. With courage from my friends and WAYVE team, I found my voice at my school to show people that all it takes is one person to intervene, prevent, and stop bullying. You might just be one person, but you are still a person.

2. Receiving a Citizenship Award. This was honestly one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had the pleasure to receive. Hearing my name called at the assembly, I felt very proud of the person I'd become in my four years at KCI. I'm very glad that I had the honor to be a part of such an awesome community.

And...my number one KCI moment in 4 years is....

1. Everything. What? You didn't really think I could narrow down 4 years and pick just one moment to sum up the entirety of my high school experience did you? Every moment is the sum total of its components, and the same holds true for me and high school. The best experience I've ever had her has been high school as a whole: the sum of the day-in-day-out grind through classes, all the clubs I've been a part of and all the friends I've made along the way.

I've come to realize that it won't be the stage that's different when I walk across it on the 15th, it has never changed. What will have changed is me: from the very first orientation day to my last day here, this school has changed and molded me into the person I am, and will be.

So here's to looking forward, while honoring my Alma Mater: Once a Raider, Always a Raider.

-RB

2 comments:

  1. Reading this I realized how much I missed out on in my years. It seems that you were so involved. I haven't joined 1 club in my time at KCI and I am now starting to regret it. I guess things don't always go as planned. Haha and I guess I get to cross this off my bucket list. Any regrets in your years at KCI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you are graduating. I admire how much you have contributed to the KCI community. Do you think your high school experience would have been different if you went to another school?

    ReplyDelete